In 2007, we discovered an enchanting 130-acre property in Woodland, Utah that had held a producing dairy farm some forty years before. All that remained on the property was an old open-air hay structure and a broken-down milk barn. Wanting to honor the land’s previous use, we decided to create an artisan cheese-making facility, using the milk from our own cows.
Not wanting to tear down any existing structures, we completely renovated the milk barn; and converted the open-air hay structure into an enclosed hay barn and stable, a place where the cows could come in out of the cold during the winter.
We then built a large barn from the ground up. It’s only a few years old, but looks like it’s been around forever. The cheese-making facility is located on the bottom level, along with a tasting room and demonstration kitchen.
Our Own Brown Swiss Cows
All of our cheeses, soaps and lotions are made using the milk and cream from our own Brown Swiss Cows, a cow specifically chosen for the buttery richness of their milk. It’s the milk from own cows that makes our cheeses taste so delicious!
Our cheese-maker, Fernando Chavez-Sandoval, is an excellent gourmet chef. He brings his skills as a chef to his cheese-making craft and loves to play with new recipes. We can’t wait to see what he is going to come up with next! In 2012, his smoked cheddar won Best in Class and his smoked parmesan won Second in Class at the World Championship Cheese Competition! As Fernando was presented with his gold award, the judge said to him,
“I don’t know how you did it, son, but in the time I’ve been judging this event,
I have never seen or tasted a cheese like this!"
Gold Creek Farms Sustainability Practices
- Use of local restaurant leftovers to feed our pigs - food that would be wasted otherwise
- Feed whey (byproduct of cheese production) to our pigs
- Use of spent wheat from a local distillery to supplement the grain we feed our cows
- Grow our own alfalfa with little use of artificial fertilizer
- Use only our own cows' milk (no transportation pollutants added to the environment)
- Our cows are hormone free
- Our cows are only treated with antibiotics when they are sick
- We keep our production small as we are committed to local consumers
We’re proud of our cheese, and hope you enjoy it.
From Our Farm to Your Table, Enjoy!
ALAN & DEBBIE GOLD
Please See Our Photo Gallery Below: